Become a Firefighter
Employment with the Ogden City Fire Department (OFD) is achieved through a rigorous testing and certification process.
Full-time lateral candidates may apply at any time and applications are reviewed as open positions occur in the Department.
Entry level testing is conducted multiple times throughout the year as needed. A list of candidates is compiled through the testing and used by the Fire Chief to fill open positions throughout the year. Interested candidates can fill out an entry level firefighter application and as a testing opportunity becomes available, Human Resources will contact you to schedule your test.
- Must be 18 years of age.
- Must be a high school graduate or possess a GED certificate.
- Must have a valid driver's license and a good driving record.
- Must have a National Registry or Utah Emergency Medical Technician-Advanced (EMT-A) Certification or above.
- Must have the following fire related certifications that are issued by the Utah Fire Service Certification System or if issued by another state's system, bear the International Fire Service Accreditation Congress (IFSAC) seal for:
- Hazardous Materials First Responder - Awareness Level
- Hazardous Materials First Responder - Operations Level
- Firefighter 1
- Firefighter 2
The testing process for an entry-level Firefighter position involves:
- EMS and Firefighter Manipulative Skills Assessment
- Oral Interview Board
Physical Ability Testing
The physical testing process includes:
- Bench Press (one bench press of 70% of the applicant's body weight)
- Sit and Reach Assessment
- Grip Strength (minimum of 27 kg of force)
- Vertical Leap (minimum of 16 inches)
- METS Test (minimum of 11 METS)
- Push-Ups (minimum of 20)
- Sit-Ups (minimum of 25)
Local Training Programs
The City of Ogden and Ogden Fire Department offer a wide variety of benefits and opportunities for our personnel. Competitive compensation package, Defined Contribution or Defined Benefit packages, outstanding healthcare benefits, tuition reimbursement, specialty pay, holiday pay and numerous other incentives.
Firefighter Salary Range - $1,833.65 to $2,666.53 (Bi-weekly Rate)