Home Occupation Licenses

A home occupation is defined as the use of a portion of a dwelling (such as an office, studio, or work room) for occupations which are customarily conducted in the home and that are incidental to the primary use as a home or residence. 

***To submit Home Occupation Applications via 

EMAIL choose application from related documents,

  • Fill out required fields
  • Click email link above
  • Attach your filled out application
  • A Business License Technician will review and email/call if they have questions
  • An invoice will then be generated and sent to you via email 

Please note to obtain a license with Ogden City a payment must be made.  The following options to pay for your license are available:

  •  Call Business Licensing at 801-629-8687 to pay via credit card
  •  Mail in your check to 2549 Washington Blvd Suite 240 Ogden UT 84401
  •  Visit the Business Licensing Offices at 2549 Washington Blvd Suite 240 Ogden, UT 84401


Home occupation businesses must comply with the following guidelines, even if a business license is not required:
  • The occupation is limited to members of the family who reside on the premises
  • The occupation does not require any interior or exterior alterations of the dwelling
  • The occupation does not include the sale of commodities which are not produced on the premises
  • The occupation does not use any accessory building, yard, or space outside of the main building not normally associated with residential use; it may include child day care of not more than eight (8) children
  • The occupation does not include any wholesale and/or retail sales of commodities

Section 10-1-203 of the Utah Code provides that a municipality may not charge any fee for a resident of the municipality to operate a home-based business, unless the combined offsite impact of the home-based business and the primary residential use materially exceeds the offsite impact of the primary residential use alone.

The following are the steps to complete before submitting a home occupation license application.

Planning / Zoning

Contact your local zoning office to ensure that your business location is properly zoned that will allow your business be there. The office is located at:

Zoning Office
2549 Washington Boulevard, Ste 240 
Ogden, UT 84401
Phone:801-629-8922 or 801-629-8930

Registration of a Business Name

All entities doing business in Utah under an assumed business name must register with the State of Utah, Department of Commerce. If you are using your own name as your business name it will not need to be registered. A filing fee is charged based upon the type of organization. The Department of Commerce is located at:

State of Utah Department of Commerce
160 East 300 South
Salt Lake City, 84111
Phone: 801-530-4849 Toll free (in state only): 800-721-7233

State Tax Information

Most businesses are required to collect and remit sales tax for goods (and some services) they provide to consumers. For information related to income tax, sales and use taxes, and other applicable state taxes as well as information concerning applications for a state tax number may be obtained from the Utah State Tax Commission. The Utah State Tax Commission is located at:

Utah State Commission
2540 Washington Boulevard
6th Floor
Ogden, UT 84401

Weber-Morgan Health Services

Contact the Health Department for information if you will be running a business that has food services. Please contact Weber-Morgan Health Services at:

Weber-Morgan Health Services
Environmental Health
477 23rd Street
Ogden, UT 84401
Phone: 801-399-7160

State Professional License

Under certain circumstances, a special State license (DOPL) may be required for your business. Usually, only professionals need a state business license, i.e. CPA's, cosmetologist, contractors etc. Contact the State Professional License at:

State Professional License
P.O. Box 146741
Salt Lake City, UT 84111
Phone: 801-530-6628 


Contact the State if you will be conducting a business that involves bakeries, convenience stores, grocery stores, or the application of pesticides. Please contact the Utah Department of Agriculture and Food at:

Utah Department of Agriculture and Food
350 N Redwood Road
Salt Lake City, UT 84114
Phone: 801-538-7100

Utah State Child Care

Contact the State Office of Licensing if you plan on opening a child care/day care center at your home or in a commercial location. Please contact the State Office of Licensing at:

State Office of Licensing
3760 S Highland Drive
Number 247
Salt Lake City, UT 84106
Phone: 801-273-6617
Toll Free: 888-287-3704